BERRY BLISSFUL TERMS & CONDITIONS
REFUND & PAYMENT POLICY
Once you reserve your spot and make your payment, you will receive a confirmation from PayPal. Any refunds will also be reimbursed via Paypal.
If you cancel your participation in a retreat for any reason, the cancellation policy below will apply, with no exceptions. We wish we could compensate people for unforeseen circumstances (injury, family emergency, etc), but we have already incurred costs when reserving retreat facilities, lodging, staffing, and activities. We have designed our cancellation policy to be as compassionate as possible in the case that your plans change. But to protect yourself further, we strongly encourage you to purchase travel insurance.
IF YOU CANCEL YOUR PARTICIPATION IN THE RETREAT:
- 60 days or more prior to the start of the retreat: 100% of your funds will be reimbursed to you.
- 30-59 days prior to the start of the retreat: 75% of your funds will be reimbursed to you and you will forfeit the remaining 25%.
- 0-30 days prior to the start of the retreat: You will receive no refunds or credits.
IF Berry Blissful CANCELS THE RETREAT:
- In the unlikely event that we need to cancel a retreat due to weather or a natural disaster, we cannot guarantee a refund – it will be dependent upon refunds we receive from the venue and vendors we work with.
- We have never had to cancel a retreat, however, if circumstances dictate our need to cancel, we will refund to you all deposits and payments you have made.
- We cannot, however, compensate you for airfare or travel costs incurred. To cover these risks, we highly recommend you purchase travel insurance.